Rehabilitation and Therapy Services
At Stewart Memorial Community Hospital, our Rehabilitation Services Department specializes in you. Our highly trained occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech-language therapists, athletic trainers and rehab technicians strive to provide exceptional care to every patient, every day. We offer a wide array of services and cutting-edge treatments to our patients and community to help them live healthy and fulfilling lives. The Macke Family Rehabilitation Services department renovation provides a state-of-the-art facility and an unprecedented level of service to the community.
Do I need a referral for therapy services from my doctor?
Traditionally, most patients see their medical provider who then refers them to the therapy services needed. However, many private insurances allow patients to directly come in to physical and occupational therapy services without having to see their medical provider for a referral first. This is called “direct access.”
If you are interested in coming to therapy via “direct access,” please check with your insurance provider to determine if this is a benefit available to you or call the Rehab Services department for further information. Direct access is an excellent option for patients familiar with their therapy needs or not exhibiting medical concerns that would require medical provider services for x-ray or lab.
Regardless of whether you come to therapy via a medical provider referral or directly, our therapists will ensure that your medical provider has access to information about your therapy unless you specify differently.
Will my insurance cover therapy services?
Therapy service coverage depends on your insurance plan. Most traditional insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid plans provide therapy coverage, but vary in plan benefits. The Rehab Services department will verify your insurance benefits prior to your first appointment to ensure that you have coverage to avoid any unexpected issues. As a hospital outpatient service, our services do typically apply towards a patient’s annual deductible until met. As a result, we encourage patients to contact their insurance provider to better understand their insurance benefits if they have questions.
- Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) therapy focused on dressing, bathing, household chores
- Adaptive equipment training for use with ADLs
- Fine motor rehab for writing, grasping objects, and fingertip sensation
- Hand and wrist brace fitting and dispensing
- Hand and wrist therapy, including Carpal Tunnel
- Stroke rehab
- Total joint rehab
- Vertigo, ear rocks, dizziness
- Ankle and foot disorders, including post-surgery rehab
- Chronic pain
- Elbow, wrist and hand disorders
- Fit-and-dispense durable medical equipment including CAM Boots, braces and mobility assistive devices such as crutches, canes, walkers and wheelchairs
- Hip and knee disorders, including post-surgery rehab
- Incontinence and pelvic pain
- Industrial rehab, including custom pre-employment physicals
- Lymphedema management and compression garment fitting
- Neck and back disorders, including post-surgery rehab
- Neurological disorders
- Shoulder disorders, including post-surgery rehab
- Sport injuries, including concussion management
- Vertigo and dizziness
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE THERAPY:
- Alternative or augmentative communication device assessment and training
- Cognitive therapy for changes or declines
- Dementia therapy and training for caregivers
- Language use and understanding difficulty
- Parkinson’s therapy for voice and swallowing
- Pediatric therapy for speech clarity and language use
- Swallowing difficulty
- Voice hoarseness, reduced loudness or lack of voice
South Central Calhoun School District:
The Rehabilitation Services Department at SMCH partners with the SCC school district to provide access to preventative and injury screening services to area student athletes to keep them in the game. Each year, we are proud to offer the following community services to the SCC district:
o Concussion baseline testing via ImPACT computer testing for student athletes
o Sideline athletic training services for high injury risk sports
o Onsite injury screening clinic at the high school and middle school
Elderbridge Agency on Aging:
Year after year, our SMCH therapists instruct education sessions and fitness classes for the Elderbridge Agency and Calhoun County Public Health to support our area seniors. Promoting activity and healthy lifestyles is a priority of both organizations which has resulted in a long-term partnership.
Educating our county workers on safe body mechanics and potential environment hazards is a community service our therapists have provided Calhoun County numerous times. Supporting the understanding of safe work habits ensures that are county workers are able to serve our communities.
Social Media Videos
Power & Performance
Senior Strong Strength & Balance